Saturday, May 29, 2010

Harsh dose of reality......

I obviously haven't posted on here in quite a while. It's not from boredom, but more from some confusion on my part. I have had to face a harsh dose of reality about a month and a half ago. I was climbing with my buddy and professional guide, Ian. While I was climbing my knee popped several times, and my 6 year old knee injury finally finished itself off.

For those who don't know, I tore my ACL in 2004 while serving in Iraq. (For those wanting to know the real story, I tore it playing soccer, but it WAS in Iraq. The field was full of mortar holes!) I was able to survive for six years based solely on my leg strength, though I did have times when it was quite sore. There were also times when I had to lay off for a week or so. This time, however, it was quite severe.

With this injury, I am unable to climb, and will require surgery. This kills the dream of guiding this summer, and pushes it back a year.

I am also living in a house now, with my friend and co-worker Eric. He and his girlfriend have very generously allowed me to live in their guest room for the summer. I am fortunate that I have such a good friend, and am having fun working on their backyard. I have also begun to shift my focus from climbing to something else.

This injury was a big slap in the face of my dream, and a true dose of reality about the consequence of injury to a mountain guide. With this I have decided that I still want to guide, but that I also want to have a more stable job that I can do full time.

I am now studying for my GRE test so I can apply to a Ph.D. program. There it is. I said it. To the world. It's official now. So there it is everyone.

What I am hoping for now is some feedback from everyone who reads this. Do you want to read more of my writing? Let me know, respond to this posting. If you do I will keep this going, and you will get to hear about my progress from knee surgery, and my march toward grad school. Let me know. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Good to read your writing again! Will your PhD be in Writing or a specific genre of Literature? Keep up the blog - it always brings a smile when I read it (even though it may be WEEKS apart).

    As you begin your redirection, it is good that Eric has given you shelter. Laying on a bed at night will undoubtedly be better for your knee! And, who knows, with the puttering in the backyard, you might find a calling in landscaping and design over the summer ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you've updated your blog. Even though you're not doing what you'd like, you are still living part of the dream...like being in Seattle. So keep writing and keep your skills & mind moving forward.

    As those in the east who hike the AT might say, consider this a blue blaze trail and enjoy the trip & change of scenery. [sorry - just read 2 books about the trail.]

    Study hard for the GRE; as I found out this year, there's a LOT of competition and those quirky numbers will play an important part in admission committee decisions.

    In the meantime, take it easy, enjoy the soft bed, roof over your head and stay strong til you knee is all better.

    ReplyDelete