Saturday, November 20, 2010

Old habits die hard

So I've been with PetSmart for three months now, and it's going quite well. My boss hasn't fired me yet, the managers above and below me seem to get along with me well, and the employees like me. On my lunch break I go to play with the dogs, and after work I have found a Brittany who adores me and loves to curl up on my lap while I rub her ears. Since I can't have a dog, this is the closest I get!

Yes, life is pretty good, but I still can't escape the fact that I am living in the flatlands of New York. When I go to a ski shop and ask about telemark or backcountry gear they look at me funny and say "Not on Long Island". Sigh.

So today after work I decided to swing by EMS (the east coast version of REI for those not in the know) and decided to put in my application. I can only work part time there, but I kind of want to. I miss talking to people who are gearing up for trips, and sharing their excitement about the next adventure they are going on. I won't lie, I also like the ego boost of being the expert when talking about outdoor gear. :-)

I work at least 45 hours per week at PetSmart, but I wouldn't mind another 15 hours or so of working as a gear guy. As I was walking about the store I had to refrain from jumping in on conversations as customers were asking associates questions. I sure do love getting people out there. I don't even want the gear discount (though I'm sure I would use it on occasion), I just want to hang out and talk gear.

On a separate note, I have been reading Shannon's "Her Dog Blog" and I suggest you read it too if you are into dogs at all. She does a pretty good job of researching products and letting you know what her pup Teton thinks. Check it out.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you SO much for the shout-out! We looooove our followers!!!

    ReplyDelete