Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Aspiring to great heights

So for those of you who are climbers, you are probably familiar with the movie "First Ascent". For those of you who are not, it is about climbers trying to climb something for the first time ever. As in no one has ever climbed it before them.

In this film, Timmy Oneil gives a "brief history of first ascents" as he poses as a teacher in a school with some seriously disturbed children of the corn kind of kids. I sure as hell wouldn't want to teach there. As he goes through his explanation, a girl sees a picture and exclaims "he's a hippie!" Timmy responds with "That's right. Some of our best climbers were outlaws, beatniks, and hippies living out of their vans. Maybe someday you can aspire to such great heights, with your personal first ascent."

Now, I haven't made a first ascent yet, but I am already aspiring to those great heights. In conversation with my girlfriend (who is still struggling with the concept of me living in my car) I explained to her that I am actually in a position of respect and envy within the climbing community. I have made the full commitment to climbing, trying to cut out everything that is non-essential to make more time and room for climbing.

I am a failure though. I obviously still have a computer, and I still have bills I racked up in Newark as a normal person. Despite this, however, I am on my way. Part of my reasoning for this lifestyle is that I can save money to buy more climbing gear, pay for gas, and buy supplies to take road trips with.

I am aspiring to great heights, living out of Zbl and just trying to climb as much as I can. In fact, this Friday and Saturday I have plans to chase some decent weather and rock climb. If that falls through, I am going to brave the elements and do an alpine climb. Either way, it should be fun, and it is something that I can do since I don't have to waste $500 a month on rent.

I will keep you all updated on the trips. Tomorrow, look out for a tutorial on how to grocery shop and cook while aspiring to greater heights.

Good night for now. I hope you all go for your own personal first ascent in life. Live the Dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment